Wednesday, April 17, 2013

2013 Weimaraner Nationals - Day 1

I was thrilled to be able to attend our first Weimaraner Nationals in Perry, GA this year.  I have never been to a Nationals for any breed and it was exciting to not only be able to go, but compete in multiple venues.  We left Wednesday afternoon and headed to Perry, GA.  I always enjoy any time I get to spend with Mia, but it was also great to see so many weim people and their wonderful dogs.  On Thursday, we competed in the RDX (retrieving dog excellent) stake at the WCA Ratings.  This stake requires a land double, water triple, and water blind.  The dog has to be brought to the line off leash and under control, and must be absolutely steady on the line (no change of position allowed).   While Mia did well on her retrieve and remained steady, she refused to give up the bird so I had to NQ myself.  Even if I could have convinced Mia to drop the bird, the more retrieves she did, the worse this problem would have gotten and I didn't want her to ever think it was okay to hard-mouth a bird.  She had started "testing" me a little in training so it was only a matter of time before we would have this particular conversation.  Mia is a high-drive princess who, every now and then, decides to ask me if I'm serious.  Of course, my answer is always yes, I am.  Back to training we go...

Mis is super focused on the bird throwers.




The next post will be about our first experience in Utility Obedience.

*All photos by Phyllis Ensley Photography*


No comments:

Post a Comment